In the past decade, CBmE has become a major centre for teaching and research in South East Asia with its main focus on global ethical values in an Asian context.
The objectives of the Centre include:
- Initiating multi-disciplinary research projects in biomedical ethics in collaboration with academics and professionals in the biomedical sciences and in clinical medicine
- Planning and implementing an integrated teaching programme in medical ethics for NUS undergraduate medical students
- Fostering international research collaborations, linking with centres in Asia, the USA, Australasia and Europe
- Collaborating with ethics governance and advisory bodies in Singapore, especially the Bioethics Advisory Committee
- Enhancing public understanding of ethical issues in biomedicine
- Promoting conferences and seminars in biomedical ethics at national, regional and international level